Beyonce asked who runs the world and of course, the answer is girls. It would only make sense that the Earth is a girl because let’s be real no man listens well enough for that. Today we’re talking about Mother Earth because Earth Day is TODAY! Earth Day (4/22) is an annual event to show support for environmental protection. We only have one Earth, our home! So let’s take care of her. It may seem a little daunting to get started saving the Earth because there are so many different ways to help. Pick one way to help and start with that. It’s less overwhelming and still makes a huge impact. A good place to start is with the classic; reduce, reuse & recycle.
REDUCE + REUSE!
This is the most effective way to reduce waste, not creating it. Making new products requires a lot of material and energy. There are many easy and creative ways to start reducing and reusing.
- Buy used goods, a lot of items can be bought used. Most of the time they are good as new and can save you money
- Buy products with less packaging, check out the bulk bins. Places like Whole Foods usually allow filling mason jars with bulk bin items, an alternative to using plastic or paper bags.
- Buy reusable items.Bring your own silverware to work instead of using disposable items.
Donate unwanted goods!- One person’s trash is another’s treasure
Recycling reduces the amount of garbage sent to landfills. Plastic doesn’t break down in the landfill, not recycling just fills the landfill with material that could be used to make something else. What can be recycled?
- Newspaper, Magazines, Junk mail, Gift wrap that’s made from recycled material
- Cereal boxes, moving boxes
- Aluminum cans, pop cans, canned foods, pet foods
- Plastics, bottles, packages,
Recyclable, not on the curbside
- Plastic bags, recycle at your local grocery store
- Motor oil, garages and auto-supply stores that sell oil usually can recycle your used oil.
HAPPY EARTH DAY
The Earth is our home so let’s take care of her! Additionally, If you’re looking for a documentary to watch A Plastic Ocean is on Netflix and is definitely worth a watch.
Here are some reusable items I love using:
Canvas Tote Grocery Bags- ALL kinds. You can even find these for $0 at some places.
Thinx undies- pads & tampons can ruin the environment too.
Bulk produce & dry goods
Stainless steel Straws
Cute loose tea bag
Comment below with ways you save the World and check out my Green Earth Day Matcha Smoothie via Instagram.